Loft boarding-counter battening advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My house is a 1900's terraced house and I am looking to counter batten across the joists in my loft and board it to provide a level surface for light storage. I have a couple of questions that I would like to clarify before I start buying materials. The existing joists are 3 3/8" deep x 2" wide, spaced about 14-15" centres and resting on a supporting wall in the centre of the house.

Firstly, in the centre of the the loft here is a support in between the two struts, similar to this diagram: http://diydata.com/general_building/roof_construction/cut_roof2.gif. This is actually resting on top of a joist and thus precluding a single batten across all joists. I would like to secure the battens to this joist, so what is the best way to do so? Could I use some kind of bracket?

Secondly, the maximum span of battens will be 3.9m. I'm not sure how successful I will be in manoeuvring a batten on this length into and around the loft. Is it ok to have two battens joining at close proximity on same joist?

Finally, fixing batten to moist. Do I screwed at angle though batten into joist or use L shaped brackets?

Thanks, Mal

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back