Flush counter battening...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My attic space is very small (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194713) (6' at the peak) and the floor span area relatively small.

I've laid T&G chipboard flooring but some of the boards are flexing slightly along their long edges - obviously the T&G is not quite tight enough there to prevent flexing (only flexes by a couple of mm's but I can feel it with bare feet)

Anway, I've read the advice about counter battening but I simply haven't got the roof space to raise the floor so was wondering if the next best thing would be to fit counter batten pieces between the joists rather than over the top. I.e. at 90 degrees to each joist, beneath each board joint with the next in the row.

What sort of timber would be enough to add the extra support beneath the board edges bearing in mind that there is already insulation between that would have to be cut away or compressed - the joists are 5" deep.

Would screwing through these cross batten pieces into the joists (at roughly 45 degree angle or from above) be strong enough or better to have a small batten along the edge of the existing joists to sit these cross battens on - sort of a poor mans joist hanger...?

Any advice appreciated...

Sponsored Links
What are you doing in the loft in bare feet? :eek:

Why are you worried about headroom as this can't possibly be a proper conversion what with 5" joists and 6' headroom, surely?

Boarding the loft is ok as long as it does not interfere with the insulation or any essential roof timbers. But these spaces are meant only for a few Chrissie decorations and the wife's winter/summer wardrobe swap-over.

Just a hobby/computer room, loft ladder access etc., no conversion (although we do have a Velux window in for some natural light and ventilation)

Yep, as said, only 6' height at the very centre - will have a desk area supported off the party wall and purlins, only real weight will be me on a chair - but, as said, they are 5" joists so plenty capable of a little more than Christmas decorations.

Bare feet? Because I can! it's tidy and clean, why not :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back