Loft boarding very old loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is solid wall so I am sure it is a very old property about 100 years now, I am planning to loft board the whole loft.

It is about 10m by 5m wide.
The insulation last in was done in 96(there is a slip on one of the rafter that states that)
The joists are about 120mm and insulation is about that much too.
I have solid walls everywhere so they probably go down from bottom of loft to all the way below the floor on ground floor.
The insulation it has is about 100cms and is pink and yellow colour and is extremely dirty.
I want to board the loft and use it for storage space, but my plan is to convert it later on for a proper loft conversion, but cant do it right now.

So my question is

Can I lay new insulation on such an old insulation or should I just replace everything with latest board insulation.

Is 100mm board going to be enough on its own to accommodate for 270mm wool insulation, or do i need 270mm of that board too in thickness.

To have insulation 270mm thick I would need to add more timber across the existing joist, should I just screw the new 140mm timbers on and then put 100mm boards so it has some space for breathing provided i dont need 270mm thick board insulation.

Will existing joists hold all this weight or should I place the new timber on new joist hanger for more strength.

Sponsored Links
I typed loft boarding into the search engine and got 6 pages on the subject!!!

Hi
Thanks for the reply, I did search and have seen loads of videos too on this but I just wanted to do the boarding in a way that if I do need to convert it into a loft conversion then I dont need to redo everything from beginning. So basically lay the foundations right. Or should I look into the loft conversion section.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back