Loft boards small patches of damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

i have installed loft board last week using loft legs xl 300mm on top of the timber which gives me 400mm. the insulation is about 350mm-370mm high. there is a gap between them (i can see the whole way through) and i now have 2 or 3 patches of condensation on the bottom of the boards only 3 or 4cm in diameter. is this normal or should i pull up those loft boards?

Any help would be perfect.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210108_132929.jpg
    20210108_132929.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 184
Sponsored Links
that's a curious damp spot. There must be a source of warm damp air.

Is it above a bathroom ceiling, with a hole in it, for example for a downlighter or ceiling rose?

No its next to my loft hatch and there is one on the board directly next to it.

The hatch is not insulated.

Attachments

• 20210108_143130.jpg
    20210108_143130.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 138
but why would flooring be over the hatch?

it's not caused by poor insulation, but a gap allowing warm, humid air up.

do you drape wet washing over the radiators?

you can tack wood strips to the frame to meet the hatch, or add rubber or furry draughtstrip. Check that the hatch frame is sealed to the ceiling. Pink firefoam is good for gaps.

Sponsored Links
The wood isn't over the hatch. That's the only source of warm air I can think of.

No we don't but we do dry our clothes on and airer upstairs in our spare bedroom.

Draught stoppers that are around dront doors?

Draught stoppers that are around dront doors?

that sort of thing

warm, humid air is getting to it. A hole in the ceiling is the most likely route. Lift the nearby insulation and have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back