Loft boiler running on cold nights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my parents had a boiler fitted in the loft but on these cold nights the external stat fitted to the wall kicks in. Obviously its doing its job but its noisy and sometimes wakes them up!

On a cold night i presume the boiler will run all night. Can't a state be fitted to the pipes instead,?

Sponsored Links
My boiler is also fitted in the loft, above our bedroom and it fires up every hour or so (which it's meant to do) but to be honest I never notice it now.

My boiler is also fitted in the loft, above our bedroom and it fires up every hour or so (which it's meant to do) but to be honest I never notice it now.

you will on your gas bill if it's not timed to come on all night

Sponsored Links
modern boilers have frost stats fitted internally to protect the boiler, it used to be common practice to install an external frost stat if the boiler was in a location where it was in danger of frost damage and interrupt the frost stat with a pipe mounted thermostat, however it is not possible to over ride a modern boilers internal frost stat safely

modern boilers have frost stats fitted internally to protect the boiler, it used to be common practice to install an external frost stat if the boiler was in a location where it was in danger of frost damage and interrupt the frost stat with a pipe mounted thermostat, however it is not possible to over ride a modern boilers internal frost stat safely

yes, I contacted the manufacturer and asked them if I could overide it and they said no.

We have noticed it on our gas bills

probably not the answer you were hoping for but the only thing I could suggest is insulate the loft as much as possible and install a radiator next to the boiler with a TRV set very low this wont stop the frost stat operating if required but should cut it off a lot sooner and save you some gas, at the end of the day the extra you are paying on gas is still cheaper than a frost damaged boiler or burst pipes

make & model of your boiler ? some allow an external frost stat to be fitted which will then allow a pipestat to be fitted

make & model of your boiler ? some allow an external frost stat to be fitted which will then allow a pipestat to be fitted

OP has already said that he has contacted the manufacturer who said he cant

ian, my understanding was they asked if they could over ride the internal frost stat not if they could fit an external one as well :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back