Loft ceiling joists left too short after side chimney removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just up in the loft checking insulation, when I discover two 4x2 joists left ‘hanging 50mm short of the wall plate, presumably post bedroom chimney removal. I’ve temporarily straddled them between good joists
with unistrut and pulled them up with 75mm screws!
My querie is whether there is a recognised acceptable way of extending these joists so they will sit on the wall plate? The loft will have no flooring, just insulation rolled out.
Cheers…..Phil.

IMG_7867.jpeg IMG_7865.jpeg IMG_7864.jpeg IMG_7870.jpeg IMG_7866.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Not really my line, but I suppose you could bolt a baulk to the side of the wall plate, with galvanised joist hangers.

Preferably jack up the ends of the floaters before fixing so they bear down into the hangers afterwards, when they relax.

Cheers John…..I was really looking for acceptable ways of extending the short joists by 150mm or so. I was thinking of sistering another joist to the short ones but not sure about acceptable methods of attachment and how much overlap?

They appear to have been trimmed, which is the accepted way to do it.

Screenshot_20231102-133317~2.png

Sponsored Links
Cheers John…..I was really looking for acceptable ways of extending the short joists by 150mm or so. I was thinking of sistering another joist to the short ones but not sure about acceptable methods of attachment and how much overlap?
I would have thought sistering the wallplate would be a more sound method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back