Loft cold storage tank fills up regardless!

S

sm1597871

This morning I noticed water gushing out of the loft overflow pipe.

I quickly turned the internal stopcock off and turned the hot water taps on and the water stopped gushing out.

I went into the loft and established the water had been overflowing from the large of the two tanks.

I ran the hot water until the system was empty, obviously leaving the mains supply off.

I turned the internal stopcock back on and watched the large loft tank fill up until the ballcock reached its level and the water stopped flowing.

The water level kept rising, even though there was no water entering the tank!

I have determined, after emptying the tank and shutting off the supply the ballcock regulates, that the water is coming in from where the water exits to the copper tank!

There appears to be a reverse flow.

My system is a conventional type with the cold storage tank and the feed and expansion tank in the loft, and the condenser boiler and cylinder tank in the bedroom.

Please help as I have to keep the mains water off otherwise the tank overflows!

Sponsored Links
Do you have a mixer taps?

Can you do a check below, if the small tank is higher than large tank.

Turn main back on and when the large cold water tank filled up and ballvalve shut off completely, check small tank is not running. If it is running, let us know.

Daniel.

Do you have a mixer taps?

Can you do a check below, if the small tank is higher than large tank.

Turn main back on and when the large cold water tank filled up and ballvalve shut off completely, check small tank is not running. If it is running, let us know.

Daniel.

The small tank is higher than the large tank and does not run when the large tank has filled up.

The only mixer taps are for the shower - there is also a Salamander pump for the shower.

Sponsored Links
Is the cold water for shower fed from cold water tank?

Kitchen sink taps not mixer or pillar taps?

Is it still rising even with ballvalve shut off?

Keep checking to see whether the small tank water level drop.

Have you had any work done before?

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back