Loft condensation (part 2)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a lot of condensation in the loft. It is a cold roof, with tiles on battens on membrane over rafters. Insulation in between and under rafters.

Water condenses on the inside surface of the membrane. The membrane is Tyvek Supro and is 100% water proof. And costs a bomb.

This happens on "warm" mornings after very cold nights. It happened last winter, and it happened again a few days ago where during one night the temps dropped to 2C.

Initially I thought there was not enough ventilation under the membrane. But there are plenty of unfinished sections, no insulation and membrane visible, and yet, it still condenses a lot of water. To improve ventilation I did open the membrane at the top ridge but this has not fixed the problem.

To make matters worse, even though we must allow ventilation in between rafters, there are many places where the paths are completely blocked, due to roof construction, eg dormers, hips, valleys, noggins etc.

This is like leaving a cold drink on the table, after half an hour the table is drenched. The hygrometer registered 96% humidity the other day when I placed that cold bottle of coke on the table, air temp was 11C. Humid air exists all around us, as can be seen in the mornings where everything outside is soaked, I cannot prevent humid air from reaching cold spots, especially the underside of the membrane.

What I have seen it, so far, has only happened on the north side of the roof.

If there is a solution, please let me know if I have missed something.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back