Loft condensation, vapour barriers and vents - best approach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - Hoping this is the right place to post this.

Second winter I've done in this 1920's stone house, and the condensation in the loft is an issue I need to sort. I could see the ventilation wasn't great when I bought it, but had originally planned to convert the loft so held off doing anything about it. But now that's off the cards so really trying to work out best plan of attack. So a few questions which I would be SUPER grateful to any kind folks here helping me with:

1) VENTILATION: It's a standard square pitched roof space of about 4x5m right into the eaves, and has two roof vents, both on the north side of the roof where the moisture is condensation on the inside on the felt and then dripping down. One of these vents is connected via flexi ducting to the ceiling exhaust fan of t the upstairs bathroom below, which means that there is effectively only one vent. How many vents would tpyically be recommended for a roof of this size and would they generally only go on the coldest side of the roof?

2) DUCTING: Is it good practice for the bathroom fact to be run through the roof? In my mind it probably does remove more steam from the bathroom than running it out of the wall, but running it out of the wall means it never goes through the roof in the first place, and does free up a vent.

3) MOULD: In the photos you can see the mould on the rafters which is building up. It vacuums right off, and I can clean it with bleach but how normal is this given the condensation levels?

4) VAPOUR: It does seem like a lot of moisture to be going into the ceiling in the first place but I can't see any possible other ingress of water other than condensation rising up through the plasterboard ceiling (it's a pretty damp house due to the age and the loft felt really is only wet on the coldest days). Is it normal to lay a vapour barrier sheet down? I'm going to need to lift the chipboard floor panels and add extre battens for height to add more insulation as there isn't enough down at the moment, and at the same time was thinking I could roll out some sheets of the plastic vapour barrier to help prevent the condensation. But I haven't heard of this done before so wondering how smart that is.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1305.jpeg
    IMG_1305.jpeg
    710 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1303.jpeg
    IMG_1303.jpeg
    545.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
what happens at the eves - is there ventilation along the eves say through the soffit or fascia?

effective ventilation requires a good cross flow, so ideally both eves are open and not bunged up with loft insulation and sometimes ridge vents too

Type 1f felt like yours is prone to condensation when conditions are right ..or wrong which ever way you look at it .
You need to be sure you are insulated properly including loft hatch .
Make sure your extract pipe work isn't leaking , add more vents try 4 aside and see what happens .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back