Loft Conversion a dead horse - Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was looking into a proper loft conversion but basically it isn't going to happen, I live in a tiny mid terrace, I got the builder around and long story short, My attic isn't big enough to comply with all the building regs etc and so that idea is dead.

He did give options of very messy and expensive ways of solving it such lowering all the ceilings and tearing out stairs etc but we concluded it simply wasn't worth it when you consider value/cost.

So, I cannot have a proper conversion and am almost resigned to the fact. However I never really needed another bedroom etc I just wanted a "space" to put my computer and shed loads of junk where I could just climb up and get out the way... Strengthen the joists, Put in a loft ladder, floor, plasterboard etc you get the idea.

So is it possible to create a hospitable and usable attic space or storage room that isn't necessarily a "habitable space" but that is still within the law?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
In order to be able to consider a space as a habitable one you need a permanent compliant means of access. It either complies or it doesn't, end of, there are no half measures with Building Regulations in the eye of the law or more importantly an estate agent, a potential buyer or their solicitor when you come to sell. An ad hoc conversion can actually reduce the value of your home rather than enhance it.

This isn't a definitive answer - just a hint at what may be possible.

On another thread, someone who seems to know what they are talking about, says that anything done in the loft doesn't matter as long as proper stairs are not built in and it is not used for sleeping. This seems to suggest that you can produce some usable space as long as entry is only by the usual hatch and retractable loft ladder.

The reason I am interested in this, is that my son has just bought a house which has an unofficial loft conversion, including proper stairway access, but it is not up to building regulations. I am thinking that the best thing he can do before he ever wants to re-sell, is remove the stairway and replace it with hatch and ladder.

I'd be interested to see what official guidance you get to this question.

So is it possible to create a hospitable and usable attic space or storage room that isn't necessarily a "habitable space" but that is still within the law?

Yes you can create a storage space for your junk

As soon as you put a desk and chair up there, it becomes a habitable space though

Of course if you are happy to accept the risks, then you can just pick and choose what work you deem necessary for your little 'conversion'

Incidentally, there are no building regs related to size of loft conversions, so be sure that your builder has given you correct information.

Also, lowering bedroom ceilings is not that much more costly than putting a new loft floor in.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it is possible to open the ceiling from the room below and have a mezzanine floor / sleeping deck into the roofspace.

It would not give you an 'extra' room though.

@woody

I thought that putting in a permanent staircase was THE deciding factor ( as mentioned bt Robert9999 ).

If he doesn't do that and is happy with a loft ladder, he can put anything he likes up there and it breaks no rules at all as i understand it, although, depending on loadings etc, 'anything" may be neither sensible nor safe.

@woody

I thought that putting in a permanent staircase was THE deciding factor ( as mentioned bt Robert9999 ).

There is no statutory definition but determinations by the secretary of state always refer to what can be reasonably assumed. E.g. if there is floor boarding and plastered walls with electrical sockets and light fittings it can be reasonably assumed that the loft might/could be used as habitable space, in which case the whole deal needs to comply. This is so even if there is just a loft ladder. On the other hand I don't believe putting a stair up to an otherwise ordinary loft makes it habitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back