loft conversion advise. mainly floor joists

Hi all, hope yous had a good xmas and so on! anyways i got a hold of a neighbours drawings a sthey are doing a loft conversion in an identical house to mine. In the drawings it says the window lintels need to be checked to see if they can hold the extra weight of the floor and so on, i have looked at mine and theres and we dont have lintels to speak we have an arch of bricks, these would take a lot of weight wouldnt thay? as it spreads any force down the arch to the bricks either side. am i right in saying this? Ian

Sponsored Links
The usual method is not to put any loading onto the lintles above windows, but to double up the floor joists either side of the windows and then put at least doubled up trimmers between them to carry the floor joists that would otherwise sit above the window (similar to how I described trimming around your staircase)or in the case of a dormer aring beam would be used to take the back wall.

Hi all again, chappers and gang I have some plans from a neighbour who has an identical house to mine who has got some plans drawn up. I have scanned the plans and want to know if anyone would have a look over them to see were the archtiect has requested the joists to be placed . Thanks ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back