Loft conversion and Open plan - avoiding fire door and wall downstairs?

Essentially, you should do whatever the BCO/AI deems necessary in order to satisfy the Building Regulations. This should, in turn, satisfy the insurers. I grew up in a house that didn't comply with guidance in respect of these points, but the District Surveyor (as was) was satisfied that the provision of smoke alarms would be adequate, without additional measures. But times change; your circumstances may be different; your BCO/AI may take a different view.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for advice. I got a quote today for a mist system, he said the basic system would be c£1500-£2k but my layout would be closer to £4k due to number of jets needed. Does that align with what others have seen?

I have read sprinkler systems are even more expensive. At the sort of cost looks like I am resigned to putting in a wall and fire door.

Has your BCO indicated that this would be acceptable? I think £1500 - £2000 sounds alright, but £4K? Ouch. Shop around. Was that mistfs.co.uk? If not, give them a go.

Sponsored Links
We are having a sprinkler for just shy of 2k. It was done by a local business who will be also fitting a pressure vessel due to the water system not having enough pressure, basically 50 litres of water under 1 minute need to come out of the tap. The pipework is coming off a 22mm in the bathroom as the vessel is in the room next door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back