Loft conversion - boundary query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning.

We recently had a loft conversion built and our neighbours (terraced) have followed suit. However, I'm slightly concerned re: our shared boundary.

Our conversion was built within our boundary (ie., not up to the boundary), and our neighbours' plans show theirs within their boundary too (we're using different builders). I suspect though that they have at least gone up to the boundary if not beyond, as the gap between our respective builds in very small.

The gap between ours and theirs in so minute, that they have had to put some kind of lead contraption in between to cover the roof felt on our side. This would seem to confirm that they've come over our side, if they've had to mess with our roof.

Their builders told me that the building inspector had suggested this. Fine, I thought, however since learning that the planning office don't give a toss about boundaries I'm wondering how much trust to place in them.

So I guess my question is:
- If I think my neighbours' construction has gone onto our side, what recourse do I have, and what's the best way to go about it?

We want to keep it civil with the neighbours of course, as we have always got on fine. However, when my wife raised this with the neighbour, our neighbour was quite abusive, which means I'm minded not to be too worried about causing them grief.

My biggest fear is if we try to sell in the future and this is an issue.

If I have missed any key facts please let me know. This is all a bit new to me!

Sponsored Links
If you mean they have re felted their roof and have covered the join between your new felt and their new felt then I don't see a problem with that.

when you had your loft done the builders would of had to mess with their roof to re roof your roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back