Loft conversion help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am converting my loft into another bedroom, I was going to get it done by a loft company but work is in short supply and so is the cash...I know I have to inform the local council...my house is a 50s semi detached and the loft has 2 windows built in to the new roof I had done last year..it has only got the 4x2 joists and boarded out for storage/junk ect ect...now what I need to know is what size joists will have to be laid down and can the new joists run parrarel along the existing ones or do they go across them ...also do they have to sit on the existing walls or just fitted to the existing joists

Sponsored Links
what size joists will have to be laid down and can the new joists run parrarel along the existing ones or do they go across them ...also do they have to sit on the existing walls or just fitted to the existing joists

The new joists will need to be deep enough to cope with the clear span, i.e. a 3m span would require 150mm x 50mm joists at 400mm c/c.

The joists will need to be independently supported off walls or steels and will borrow no support from the exiting joists. You can however connect the two together if you wish.

The new joists will likely sit parallel to the existing to gain maximum headroom.

Cheers noseall.......I now have even more time to do it....I was going to get the pro,s in but as I said no work equals no cash so I will have to do it myself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back