loft conversion insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Behind the ashlar wall in our loft, apart from the insulation between the joists there is no insulation between or over the rafters "Actually there probably isnt any insulation between the rafters in the whole conversion"

For access we have louvre doors in the ashlar walls, which is fine in the summer, but not so in the winter as it gets very cold in the room. I am looking at getting Thinsulex to go over the rafters in this space to prevent the cold air, obviuosly all gaps will be sealed to prevent air getting through.

My question is, do you think thinsulex is enough on its own?

Sponsored Links
Thank you Noseall, may be I should have expanded on that question, what would you suggest in addition to the thinsulex?, please

If you would like to look further at some info on multi-foils, looks at the thread started on Oct 1 by spoonse.

In summary I believe that multi -foils deliver about 30 % of what they promise/suggest.

Sponsored Links
Use the thinsulex as dust covers and then install some celotex or kingspan, i.e. 100mm betwixt rafters with 40mm underdraw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back