1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Loft conversion insulation

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by pilsbury, 8 Aug 2020.

1. pilsbury

pilsbury

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Mulling over the possibility of doing a loft conversion. Very early days and probably not till next spring.

House built in 1925 with a plain tile roof in good condition. A dormer will be on the back, but I was wondering if I can simply put the required amount of PIR in between the rafters from inside as the roof is original and has no felt/breathable membrane under the tiles. Don’t fancy stripping a good roof. Also, I’m aware for flat roofs, 120mm is required, what’s it for lofts? What about air gap or can I simply push PIR up to the battens?

cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I put a 2x1 batton on my rafters to space them out because I got a load of 100mm PIR on the cheap.

I think they originally spec’d 75mm PIR between the rafters with a 50mm air gap above, then a full 50mm PIR under the lot followed by plasterboard.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. pilsbury

pilsbury

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers. Basically 120-125mm total then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local