Loft conversion joist detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am converting my loft and i have a question regarding how best to fix the new floor joists.
We are lucky with the construction of the house; the new floor joists can run from the current inner wall plate under the eaves to the central spine wall.
My question is how best to fix them.

option 1 - lie the joists as close to the current rafter as possible and fix to the side of them.

option 2 - lie the new joists in between the rafters and fix the overlapped ends in the middle.

Both options have the downside of only one end being fixed; but i am unsure what is best.

• They will rest on 18mm packers so that they do not touch the ceiling below.
  • A dwarf wall will be built off them around 1m from the eaves in place of a purlin.
  • Current rafters and ceiling joists have plenty of twists and bends

BC are happy with the general design and the engineer has specced the joists as 47*225.
Thanks for your help.
james

IMG_2991.JPG IMG_2990.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would suggest 2 things; a structural engineer and building regulations.

Dependant on what your structural engineer specifies an option would be to fit a timber of 47 X 225 at right angles to the existing rafters, either sat into the outer walls if possible or on brackets or hangers and notched to sit in between them providing a fixing point for the ends of the new timbers and it would also spread the load over the rest of the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back