Loft conversion noise issue

In the grand scheme of things i'd damage the plaster reveals on the windows with screws/nails/foam and fully block the velux windows up to see if they really are the worst culprit.

It is only a bit of filler and a paint to cover it back up after....

Tom

Sponsored Links
The celotex is likely aggravating the problem, transmitting and amplifying the noise. If you could remove it all at the front, and replace with mineral wool slab, then reboard with a couple of layers of 12mm board, you might get somewhere. Changing the velux sealed unit for a triple, or thicker paned unit will also help. Plus as mentioned, the eaves will be a weak point.

Removing installed insulation with tiles on one side and a plastered finish on the other isn't exactly practicable. Nor is mineral wool going to provide the same U values. That said, if I were doing my job again I'd have included both. What the OP presumably requires is solutions that can be applied now, not that could have been applied during building.

I'm planning on revisiting my eaves by cramming rock wool tightly between ceiling and floorboards in that area - ensuring of course that ventilation isn't compromised.

Cheers
Richard

I'd agree, not exactly practicable :LOL: But there's no cheap fix here, and he was prepared to spend £650 on shutters anyway. If he can DIY most of it, and get a plasterer in for the morning to skim the new boards, it will cost about the same. Might even be some limited resale value in that old celotex.

I'd agree, not exactly practicable :LOL: But there's no cheap fix here, and he was prepared to spend £650 on shutters anyway. If he can DIY most of it, and get a plasterer in for the morning to skim the new boards, it will cost about the same. Might even be some limited resale value in that old celotex.

It's not so much the technicalities, as the destruction and the mess, especially if you are now living in the room. Have you ever tried to remove skimmed plasterboard from walls? Not to mention all the carpentry.

What might be feasible is to build new studwork inboard of the existing walls, stuff that with rock wool, plasterboard, skim and decorate. That would avoid losing the U value of the Celotex, and having destruction and mess everywhere, but doesn't necessarily help with the ceiling, if ceiling height is already limited, and of course you can't really do that around window reveals, where the solution has to be secondary glazing, if necessary over the top of the reveal.

Cheers
Richard

Hi,

We are experiencing silimar, did you find a solution?
I’ve has the glazer out today to look at a quote, we also views another house with a view to move! Sleep is so important and noise levels is so affecting mine ;-( all help welcomed but also don’t want to spend if it won’t help.

Sponsored Links
Is there a consensus on what insulation is better for soundproofing? Rock wool or Celotex? Our bedroom at the front of our solid wall house is in need of decoration. Have a double glazed bay window with tiled front which I’m certain is just lath and tile with plasterboard inside.

Insulation is a bonus, but sound deadening is more important to me.

Is there a consensus on what insulation is better for soundproofing? Rock wool or Celotex? Our bedroom at the front of our solid wall house is in need of decoration. Have a double glazed bay window with tiled front which I’m certain is just lath and tile with plasterboard inside.

Insulation is a bonus, but sound deadening is more important to me.
Rockwool is better for acoustic insulation. Celotex is useless for that.

If you do use Rockwool where you're suggesting, install a vapour barrier on the warm (room) side, to prevent moisture from warm internal air condensing on the cold side of it. Or install Celotex over it for better thermal insulation (the foil provides the vapour barrier)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back