Loft conversion quandary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am shortly to embark on a loft conversion of my property, 2 up, 2 down
terraced house built, 1888.

The architect has visited and drawn up plans that have been submitted to the local planning department.

My slight worry is that is that as it is a very old house, I wonder if it
is structurally sound to take the conversion.

Have noticed in the living room there are two areas where the ceiling seems to have dropped and a similar area in the dining room, where there are also minor cracks in the (blocked out) chimney breast. There is also a crack running the whole length of the walll-side of stair case. No room has got square walls and walking up the stairs there seems to an uneven floor on the half-landing and full landing where you can see that the floor bows under the bedroom door frame.

Am I being unduly concernd?.. .or are my observations minor??

Sponsored Links
Your architect should be able to advise you but if you are still concerned you could have a structural survey done which will tell you if it needs any extra work in order to support the extra weight. Your local Building Inspector will also be involved with your project and will also be able to help you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back