Loft Conversion Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These have probably been asked before but i'm wondering if anyone can help. Before the members among us with adenoid problems pipe up, once i've done my own research I will be consulting a professional with regards to the design but intend to do the construction myself.

I'm wanting to convert my loft into another between, the house is a 1930's semi with Hip Roof.

My main query is to weather steels are likely to be required, ideally if I don't have to fit them it makes my life a bit easier and reduces cost fairly substantially.

As far as I can see the roof itself requires little to no work doing to it, i've attached a couple of photos. I was quite surprised to see that there is little to support the purlins at the hip end of the roof, still it's been like this for at least the last 20 years, I assume it was just built this way.

With regards to the floor, the current joists are 1"x 6" with a solid brick wall in the centre, the joists are in two lengths each resting on the internal wall. My thoughts were to fit some larger joists either bolted to or independant of the existing joists. Something like 220x63 (C16) at a minimum which would easily cover the 4.3m span either side of the supporting wall at 400mm spacings.

Any thoughts or pointers? I'm not looking for the cheapest way to do this, but ideally don't want to spend money work that is not required.

View media item 50523 View media item 50522

Sponsored Links
Hi
Generally you can convert a loft without using steels. In my experience 4.8m is the longest span you should be looking at using timber joists. (Unless you are thinking of using lambeams) There should be no need for steels if your span is 4.3m.

Also, you need to keep in mind the building control state that the new loft floor is independant and therefore not attached to the existing ceiling joists. If you have the old lath and plaster ceilings you need to take into account you will need to provide a fire barrier under the new loft floor joists.

If you are converting a hip to a vertical gable make sure you contact planning.Most councils allow this form of conversion as a permitted development, however, there may be a clause in your area or some location situation that will prevent this.

Hope this helps and good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back