Loft conversion - RSJ concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a loft conversion done "professionally" on my house about 7 years ago. Being in Scotland, the house is stone and built about 1900. The loft conversion required 2 RSJ's to be fitted one either side of the living space, above the ceiling joists (that are now the floor joists). The location of the RSJ's is very cramped and they were not checked by the council or anyone else when it was signed off. However, I have recently had to crawl into that space because of a roof leak and I am concerned because only one joist is attached to each RSJ and this is by a twisted piece of metal that has been riveted into place. Should all the joists be attached to the RSJ's and if so by what means should they be attached? I am wondering if I can do this myself.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound very 'professional' unfortunately.

Ceiling joists can rarely be used as floor joists - they're normally far too small. If your builders decided to do it this way, they should at least have supported them all off the steelwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back