Loft Conversion Skylight Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have recently had a loft conversion and am concerned about the way the skylight windows look from the outside.

The builders fitted in the Velux windows. From the outside, the tiles are not flushed to the windows. I can see black plastic on each side and bottom of the windows before the tiles, is this correct? What is the cause for this? Other loft conversions seems to have their slates/tiles flushed to their windows.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello

I have recently had a loft conversion and am concerned about the way the skylight windows look from the outside.

The builders fitted in the Velux windows. From the outside, the tiles are not flushed to the windows. I can see black plastic on each side and bottom of the windows before the tiles, is this correct? What is the cause for this? Other loft conversions seems to have their slates/tiles flushed to their windows.

Thanks

its called the flashing... if you dont like it... ask for it to be taken away.... every professional will do as the client wants...

Sponsored Links
its called the flashing... if you dont like it... ask for it to be taken away.... every professional will do as the client wants...

Ask for the flashing to be taken away thus increasing the chances of water entering the building via the velux window? :eek:

Every "professional" would or should not even do this... even if it is a request of the client. It's a BR requirement too so without it, you will not see your completion certificate.

As to whether the roof covering can come flush to the edge of the window depens on several things such as the type of tiles and where the window sits in the run across the roof. The bottom flashing should sit over the top of the tiles.
A picture would help to confirm if it is fitted ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back