velux window flashing - tile vs slate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I currently have a tiled roof (marley tiles) in my bungalow.

I want to fit a few velux windows in for skylights for the hallway, however also plan to convert part of the loft aswell. Part of the conversion will include more velux windows for the attic rooms.

However at that time i also want to get rid of the tiles and put on a slate roof.

There will probably be between a year and 2 years between installing the 1st velux windows (probably 4 of them) and doing the slates.

My question is - can I get away with using slate velux window flashing with the tiled roof in the meantime - I know its the wrong type until i do but dont want to buy replacement flashing kits in 2 years time.... would it work enough to be water tight?

Sponsored Links
First of all - why slate? :confused:

I would be thinking in terms of installing ALL of the Velux at the same time that you strip the roof, in particular if that means adding double rafters etc.

Slate flashings and profile tile flashings are not interchangeable.

The most sensible thing to do is strip the roof, install the all the Velux (including the loft con' ones) then re-tile. Then do the lofty further down the line.

Last edited:
slate because its 1850 cottage which would suit the slate better than the 1970s tiles on there now.

The renovation I am doing is pretty much all DIY so i need to do things in the order that suits my time. At the moment I need light into some of the house but due to other work needed too I cant do the roof at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back