Velux windows & flashing on a Fiberglass Roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a small extension roof that needs replacing. It only has a shallow pitch of a bit under 15 degrees, hopefully just enough to fit some Velux style windows at a push? I was originally wanting to do it in slate to match the rest of the house but the pitch is to shallow, and altering the pitch by say 6 degrees or more is not really doable so I was thinking of a GRP kit insted.

However I already have a couple of roof windows with slate flashing kits sitting in my loft that I was hopping to use, so I'm wondering:

1) Can you use Velux windows with GRP roof kits?
I've Googled this and emailed a few GRP kit suppliers & got nowhere! :rolleyes:

2) If I can, could I get away with using the slate flashing kits that I already have?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If the flashing kits are still boxed up, take them to your local supplier to see if you can trade them in for the flashings that best suit the type of roof you decide to go for.

glass it in.. easy

Yes just sandwiching it in between a couple of layers was my first thoughts but was just wondering if it would work.

If the flashing kits are still boxed up, take them to your local supplier to see if you can trade them in for the flashings that best suit the type of roof you decide to go for.

My problem is that I can't find any info on this subject to recommend the best suited type. As far as I can see the slate flashing looks probably the best but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with using em with GRP?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking the min pitch should be 15 degrees.
The slate or tile flashing are of no use to you here.

The options as i see it are:

Fit the velux flat roof curb which comes with flashings.

or form an upstand of say 100mm have your roof glassed. then fit the window, then form your own flashing in lead (quite an easy task)
or get your laminator to form the flashing.

or you may be able to contact Velux and buy the flashing that comes inside the flat roof curb box. (you will still need to form the upstand) ,but you will control the depth.

Just realised I had a new reply. Thanks for the advise, I am considering curbing the windows now. At least that way I can reduce the pitch of the roof and gain a bit more headroom indoors. I think I might be able to use the gear i already have if I glass it in properly.

Problem sorted! Made some plywood window boxes with a 15 degree pitch so I only needed a small pitch on the roof and gained much needed ceiling height. Then just used the existing slate flashing kits on top of the DIY window curb boxes, then fixed GRP roofing trims etc over the top of the lot.

Rained a few times now and all seems to be good :D

GALLERY]

Looks grand icon_biggrin.gif Well done.

Cheers! The windows probably made the job at least 3 times longer & more complicated than just doing a flat roof. Not sure I could be bothered to do it that way again but it's done now & I love the way it looks inside the bathroom :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back