Loft conversion

E

EddieM

Ok, I have done a search of this forum, and I am hoping the following is the "correct" if not ideal thing to do.

In the loft conversion, there are 2 sockets, the first one has 2x 2.5mm T&E and the second one has 1x 2.5mm T&E. I haven't checked yet, but I would guess that the first socket is a spur off the 1st floor final ring and the second socket is a spur off that spur.

The better half now wants an additional socket in the second bedroom, so what I was thinking of doing was installing a 13A FCU before the first socket, then running yet another spur of the second socket to the new socket.

Obviously I will check that this is the current topology of the 2nd floor sockets.

Questions are :-

1) Whilst not ideal, is this OK?
2) Is it notifiable?
3) Am I an idiot?

TIA E.

Sponsored Links
2) Is it notifiable?
3) Am I an idiot?
1...Probably (although, as you say, 'not ideal'), so long as you can confirm that the first socket really is a spur direct from the 1st floor ring final, and not itself a 'spur from a spur'. All of the sockets would,of course, then be limited to a maximum total load of 13A. The ‘ideal’ would, of course, be to run an additional cable down to the 1st floor and incorporate all the loft sockets into the ring.
2...No
3...It doesn't sound like it.

Additional points - any new sockets would have to be RCD protected, so if the circuit is not already RCD-protected, then that would have to be addressed. Any new cables 'concealed' within walls would have to be routed in 'safe zones' (see the forum's wiki) and any of them buried less than 50mm below the surface of walls would also require RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John

2) Is it notifiable?
3) Am I an idiot?
1...Probably (although, as you say, 'not ideal'), so long as you can confirm that the first socket really is a spur direct from the 1st floor ring final, and not itself a 'spur from a spur'. All of the sockets would,of course, then be limited to a maximum total load of 13A. The ‘ideal’ would, of course, be to run an additional cable down to the 1st floor and incorporate all the loft sockets into the ring.
2...No
3...It doesn't sound like it.

Additional points - any new sockets would have to be RCD protected, so if the circuit is not already RCD-protected, then that would have to be addressed. Any new cables 'concealed' within walls would have to be routed in 'safe zones' (see the forum's wiki) and any of them buried less than 50mm below the surface of walls would also require RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks, IF the sockets are indeed a spur of the first floor ring, then they will already be RCD protected, the new cables will be run under the floorboards.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, IF the sockets are indeed a spur of the first floor ring, then they will already be RCD protected, the new cables will be run under the floorboards.
OK - in that case, it sounds as if you only have to confirm that 'IF' (including making sure that it is not 'a spur off a spur').

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back