loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Just finalising plans for my loft conversion and have a couple of details to clear up.
Firstly, how to insulate the party wall and how to go about continuing this down the new stairs well?
And how to double up rafters without removing the roof covering? Is there a way to get new ones past the purlins? I'm hoping there's some trick to doing this!
All advice appreciated.

All the best.

Sponsored Links
Need to check with your local BC but for my current loft project the party wall needs certain minimums on soundproofing not forgetting you will also prob need a party wall agreement if you are doing anything with beams or purlins into the party wall.

As for doubling up rafters, I assume you mean to create more depth for fitting insulation ?

Hi Cabbyfan,
I will be doing a party wall notice.
I was going to stud out in front of the party wall to accommodate insulation, then consult BC as to whether I should use pink or blue p.board. I'm just not sure how to continue this down the stairwell?
I need to double the rafters for the veluxs, but can't figure out a way to get them pas the purlins in one piece. I'm hoping there's a trick or that 2 pieces can be joined somehow?

Sponsored Links
I need to double the rafters for the veluxs, but can't figure out a way to get them pas the purlins in one piece.

You don't need to take them past the purlin.

Assuming your velux is being positioned somewhere between the ridge and the purlin (?), just double the relevant rafters from the ridge down to the purlin. They dont even have to be fixed to the purlin - the new pieces can stop an inch or so short - as long as they are firmly screwed to the existing rafters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back