Loft Conversions - example of plans ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , first post so please be gentle ... i would like to do my own loft conversion , we have a semi .. dont want anything special , just one bedroom up in the loft , a velux window etc.. no major extensions.

I have search the forums and found some good links for some reading .. but would love to see some sample deigns that have been submited to building regs ... As i know how to use CAD so can draw .. but not really upto the correct drawing format.

Is this somthing i can really do myself ? i know it will take longer .. but i am not stupid , as i bought the house as a empty shell with no electrics or heating (no kitchen or bathroom).

any help would be great.

thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
16vmini said:
As i know how to use CAD so can draw .. but not really upto the correct drawing format.

You also have to have some knowledge of the building regs in order to do the drawings, unless they are going to be as simplistic as roof here, window there, socket here etc.

nstreet said:
16vmini said:
As i know how to use CAD so can draw .. but not really upto the correct drawing format.

You also have to have some knowledge of the building regs in order to do the drawings, unless they are going to be as simplistic as roof here, window there, socket here etc.

well i assume i do need a plan to give the building regs people ? and that plan should have some detail on it ?

thanks

Matt

16vmini said:
Is this somthing i can really do myself ? i know it will take longer .. but i am not stupid , as i bought the house as a empty shell with no electrics or heating (no kitchen or bathroom).

just re-reading my post ... ok i could still be stupid as i have seen things in the news that people have done the same .. and then burnt there house down.... does not mean a thing that sentace :LOL:

Sponsored Links
There is no reason you shouldn't be able to do the building work yourself. It would pay, however, to get the plans drawn up professionally. Obviously your current ceiling joists will not be adequate as flooring joists. You may also find that your roof structure may need some modifications to hold the extra weight of any plasterboard etc..

Your building control office will be much more comfortable if they can see that the strength of these mods have been professionally calculated. BCO don't really like to do any calculations themselves, so no matter how good your plans look, they will likely insist on seeing calculations carried out by someone suitably qualified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back