Loft convertion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am thinking of converting my loft, it is trusses at the moment.

My house is like a standard house cut in half and lifted 5' on one side, there is a 5" supporting wall running down the centre in to the loft accommodating support for the split in levels.

My plan is to take of the truss roof and put a cut roof in its place, I am thinking of putting two Parallel Trusses instead of steel purlins.

Can anyone spot any pitfalls with this idear and tell me how to get timber sizes.

thanks mike

Sponsored Links
rollover said:
Hi all

I am thinking of converting my loft, it is trusses at the moment.

My house is like a standard house cut in half and lifted 5' on one side, there is a 5" supporting wall running down the centre in to the loft accommodating support for the split in levels.

My plan is to take of the truss roof and put a cut roof in its place, I am thinking of putting two Parallel Trusses instead of steel purlins.

Can anyone spot any pitfalls with this idear and tell me how to get timber sizes.

thanks mike

You'll need to talk to a structural engineer if you want to get building regs approval.

Thanks Fred

Will I design the roof for him to amend or ask someone to design for me, I think its stairt forward but I'm not sure if inspectorse like cut roofs?

mike

The structural engineer should be able to sort the whole thing out for you, including structural calculations and plans for your builder to follow.

Sponsored Links
rollover said:
Thanks Fred

Will I design the roof for him to amend or ask someone to design for me, I think its stairt forward but I'm not sure if inspectorse like cut roofs?

mike

Get him to design it all, will probably work out cheaper than having to work around/amend your plans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back