Loft felt repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have accidently torn some of the bitumen felt in my loft and have tried a few ways to repair it without success. Any ideas please? I've tried various tapes and yesterday attempted bostik flashband but it just peeled off after a few minutes. The house is 1980 and the felt is heavy-ish so it'll need a decent adhesive I guess. Many thanks in advance.
IMG_20230910_185737943.jpg

Sponsored Links
Get another piece of felt and tuck it under the rafters and under the lip of the piece below if you can manage to get it in there it should be fine.

Get another piece of felt and tuck it under the rafters and under the lip of the piece below if you can manage to get it in there it should be fine.
Many thanks, although it's not possible to get anything between the felt and the rafters near the joins (I tried lodging the flashband in there to help it). I guess it's fixed on those points.

What about a piece of timber fixed to the rafters to hold it in place?

Sponsored Links
You can only really do a proper repair from above, removing a few tiles and possibly battens to insert a new bit of felt, otherwise you'll have to the best you can, just ensure whatever you do keeps the laps lapping over one another properly.

Glue or otherwise fix tne felt to batten and screw the batten to the side of the rafter.

Blup

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, much appreciated. There's no leaks so that's ok. I like the baton ideas - great. If I were to try and glue it then what glue would you recommend please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back