DAMAGE FELT HOW BEST TO PATCH IT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently put a boiler flue through a roof and have damaged some of the felt. I need to repair it and keep the customer happy however replacing all the felt is not an option.
I have been advised by other plumbers that i should use felt nails to hold the torn felt back up and tape it, or trying to patch it using the paint type bitumen.
I need it to be acceptable as a surveyor is to look at the house in a week or two and i dont want come backs.

Regards Neil

Sponsored Links
I do not know the codes in your area but when I pass a flue pipe through a roof I make sure it is double wall piping to prevent over heating of the surrounding surface to prevent fires. (Metal bestos)

About patching felt I use cold tar (roof or flashing cement) trowel applied under the felt then use copper nails to close it and use Cotton impregnated membrane to cover the slit and again use flashing cement to seal it.

Roof cement has a tendency to run when exposed to the sun and does not have the same consistency of flashing bitumen.

I think what he means is underfelt. Which is fixed underneath the roof tiles as a secondary 'back-up' in case the tiles go askew.
There's no proper way to patch it up, just get some more felt/adhesive and do the best you can to band-aid it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back