Loft flooring, insulation and those darn halogen downlights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone with more nouse and experience than me can help with a concern that I have... I've looked at loads of other threads but haven't found one which quite answers it. :oops:

I'll try to keep it brief!

I bought a semi-detached bungalow earlier this years (built in '56), and although it has been 'renovated' by the previous owner it is of solid wall construction and has halogen downlights in each of the rooms (about 25 in total).

There's some insulation in the loft (the pink dusty stuff) which has been peeled back by about 10cm each side of each of the halogen bulbs, but what with the chilly walls the place leaks heat like crazy.

I'm planning to add extra loft insulation (I've already bought a bunch of additional stuff on 2-for-1 from B&Q) and an insulated loft hatch, but I'm also considering adding some boarding (T&G) to an area of about 20sq m for light storage - and I do mean light storage, I DO NOT plan to use this as a TV/games or any other sort of room!

My thinking is to board some, and then add the extra insulation to the unboarded bit.

Having read other threads (thanks guys) I don't expect major problems with most of the wiring or the pipework...

BUT I wonder what to do about the darn downlighters!!

Where I plan to board, ideally I would like to leave a space in the insulation around each downlighter of about 10-15cm all around, then board straight over them (which with 4x2 joists will leave about 75mm between the back of the lamp and the underside of the board). Any thoughts on whether I can do this? I'd prefer not to have to use a plant pot/fireshield/flue or whatever if it is safe to simply leave space around the light and then board over. :?:

Where there will only be insulation, I'm considering using terracotta pots (mentioned elsewhere on DIYnot) or flues to cover them, so the insulation can have a closer fit, and then simply going over them with an extra layer of insulation at right angles to what is already there. :?: Again, is this dumb?

My apologies if you've answered similarly stoopid questions before, but your thoughts on this would be hugely appreciated!!
:D

Nobby

Sponsored Links
Anything anyone could add on this would be really appreciated thanks.

Nobby

Nobby - you don't cover the tops of these lamps with insulation material - one of the purposes of these things having opened backs is to prevent heat build-up in the unit itself, thus blowing the lamp more often (ventilation). Fire-rated halo lamp housings (enclosed backs) are designed with components to run hotter (not the lamps). Where you're going to board over the lamps drill a 25 to 30mm hole (use a hole saw) to allow the above ventilation.

I did post something along these lines a while ago.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Symptoms. Will add the holes you suggest and keep the insulation well clear.

Nobby

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back