Loft flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I just stumbled accross this site and you look like a helpful bunch :D so here goes : Im an absolute beginner when it comes to DIY but I am wanting to lay some kind of floor in my loft. It is only for storage but I would obviously like it to be strong enough to bear my weight. My house is a two bedroomed terrace with currently no flooring on the loft just the joists. I have loft insulation down so is it just a case of laying the wood/boards? over the top of the insulation and securing to the joists? As I said I am a complete novice but am willing to give it a go so any simple intructions or advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

P.S. The cheaper the better too!!

Sponsored Links
Are the ceiling joists the normal 4"x2" or is it truss frame where they use nail plate on the joint of the roof frame?

Hi

Thanks for your reply, they are just the normal 4"x2" I think.

cheers

Should be okay for normal weight and best if you can have the flooring near top of any load bearing walls for extra support. I use 3"x1" timber flat in opposite direction of the ceiling joists and centred to the width of the T&G floorboardsto go on top of it, this will give to a cross air-flow underneath and also not having to notch out for cable or pipe in the ceiling joists.

Sponsored Links
Not a problem and depends on what the weight if the storage is, just have to do it difference by coming off wallplates etc.

Mine is a Truss Roof (I believe), and am wanting to board it out - well some of it anyway.

No great weight up there, just a few bits and bobs.

Can I just board straight to the joists ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back