Loft hatch and ladder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advise please on loft hatches and ladders.

I'd like to fit a wooden ladder like this

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/ladder...Access-Kit-H-111-W-55cm-9273865?skuId=9283565

But, like most I have a small hatch at 55cm2 and surrounded by beams.

Is there anyway I can cut 55cm of ceiling 1 joist as shown....

Also in the picture could I cut the 45' upright support and resupport at different points?

Cheers all!

Sponsored Links
Having read a few posts I believe it's not the best of ideas. Looks like I may have to completly reposition the hatch which means moving the landing light and replastering.

All this for a loft ladder!

Also in the picture could I cut the 45' upright support and resupport at different points?

definatly not!

If it's on a landing, you may find it safer and easier to reposition into a bedroom

With respect:

No need to re-position from a landing unless its close to, or over, a stair well.
Typically, a landing is the most accessible position.

robo123,
in your case, you will need to find a position that has good head height and a landing platform area as you enter the loft: ref. Mfr's dimensions.
Perhaps, call a loft ladder co?

Avoid, if possible, cutting any roofing/joist members.

Consider how you will take large objects up and down.

Where to locate your lighting and switching.

Sponsored Links
It looks like you have a "truss" system roof...........

they are not designed to do anything other than take the weight of the roof and plasterboard ceiling.

You should NOT use your loft to do anything more without "beefing up" your loft "floor"

With respect:

No need to re-position from a landing unless its close to, or over, a stair well.
Typically, a landing is the most accessible position.

robo123,
in your case, you will need to find a position that has good head height and a landing platform area as you enter the loft: ref. Mfr's dimensions.
Perhaps, call a loft ladder co?

Avoid, if possible, cutting any roofing/joist members.

Consider how you will take large objects up and down.

Where to locate your lighting and switching.

I do have a position on the landing I could relocate to which goes with the joists but that turns a 'simple' loft ladder job to a complete pain with boarding the old hole, skimming whole ceiling moving light.

Why are things never straight forward!

Think I'll just stick with the step ladder :(

Can you give a bit more details ? Sketch perhaps ? Where the hole is and what you want to do ?

Might be able to suggest something and give you a detail possibly to get a loft ladder in.

The only thing you can not do is cut any of the uprights..

As for storage, common sense always prevails. Dont go shoving a desk or anything up there and when putting 'junk' up there, always put near the node points of the truss (where the uprights are plated to the ceiling).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back