Loft hatch on integral garage with partial pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per a previous topic related to electrics (thanks to all who offered advice), i'm about to start a garage conversion. The garage is integral, but the front 1/3 of it juts out of the back of the house beyond the back wall, with that part having a piched roof above it. The pitched roof area is currently uninsulated, and the garage has a 2 plasterboard thick ceiling with a plaster finish to make it fire-proof.

As i'm going to have to pierce that ceiling to insulate the pitched roof void, I plan on putting a loft hatch in there for storage rather than making good the hole I will have to put in the ceiling, and therein lies my question.

Any special requirements for the loft hatch related to fire proofing/insulation?

I'm assuming that I will need a 0.35u or 0.25u rated air tight loft hatch, with rockwool insulation (at a minimum) between the rafters in the pitched roof void, but i'm also under the impression that once this garage is no longer a garage that all teh fireproofing considerations go out of the window and I won't need to spend upwards of £100 on a fireproof hatch.

Am I correct in the above assumptions, and what rated insulated loft hatch will I need? Can I disregard the fireproofing need from the moment the garage door is gone and the french doors are in it's place?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back