Do I need a fire rated loft hatch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am thinking of enlarging my loft hatch to provide better access, the property is 13 years old, at present I have a metal loft hatch with some level of installation and I believe is fire rated.

Access to the loft is from the hall way, do I need to replace the loft hatch with a fire rated loft hatch or can it be non fire rated?

When I spoke to a company who makes these custom loft hatches she said, I only need a fire rated loft hatch if my ceiling is fire rated... not sure how to check this...?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If your house is a two storey, the celling below an unconverted loft is not classed as fire resisting, so the hatch does not need to be either.

Sponsored Links
If it's three storey, the hatch should be 30 minute rated as it's in the escape route.

If it's three storey, the hatch should be 30 minute rated as it's in the escape route.
This would make sense as to why Barratt installed a fire rated loft hatch.

Where can I can find this in a regulation document/website to show the installer?

Think I was told incorrect information... my hatch doesn't look fire rated, can someone confirm?

IMG_5251.jpg

Where can I can find this in a regulation document/website to show the installer?
Approved Document B1, and section 2 deals with means of escape where it describes the need for a protected staircase. You'll need to refer to the 2006 edition.

1695757951528.png

Approved Document B1, and section 2 deals with means of escape where it describes the need for a protected staircase. You'll need to refer to the 2006 edition.

View attachment 315144

Thanks

Any reason NHBC says different: Loft hatches and fire resistance

I have fire doors in all my rooms in the house, therefore I assume the loft entrance doesn't need protection. In addition, if there was a fire and we escaped into the loft, the ceiling itself its fire protected. I sent a picture on my previous post, I don't believe my hatch is fire protected is it?

That NHBC document is actually saying the same thing!

You have a protected staircase as the escape route from the upper stories, and the ceiling of the landing forms part of the protection of the escape route.

It's not about escaping into the loft but stopping a fire from the loft compromising your escape route.

Your steel and rockwool hatch may well be fire resistant.

That NHBC document is actually saying the same thing!

You have a protected staircase as the escape route from the upper stories, and the ceiling of the landing forms part of the protection of the escape route.

It's not about escaping into the loft but stopping a fire from the loft compromising your escape route.

Your steel and rockwool hatch may well be fire resistant.

Is there any way to check if it is fire resistant?

Would I also expect the plaster boards in the ceiling to be fire resistant as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back