Loft access fire protection in a flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Situation is a top floor (over 55s) flat from the early 80s, with access to the loft through a conventional wooden framed and push up wooden loft access panel. The loft space is partitioned off with breeze block from the adjoining flat, and from the area above the corridor outside the flat.

The access is in the hall, and all the doors from it (except the bathroom) are fire doors - but there is just one big storage heater in the lounge, so the doors into hall and bedroom (there is a convector heater in bedroom and a small one in the hall) tend to be wedged open by the occupant during the day.

I'm currently decorating the hall and wondering if I ought to take the opportunity to swap the loft access for a fire rated hatch whilst I'm doing the rest of the work. However, flat has artex ceilings which I already know have tested positive for chrysotile (white asbestos), so I'll need to take appropriate precautions when removing the wooden frame to fit the metal hatch.

My questions are:

1. It will have complied with regs at the time, but if the flats were being built now, would it need a fire rated hatch? If so, the current one isn't insulated either so swapping it seems a reasonable idea.

2. If some fire protection is sensible, is there anything I can do with the existing access? It needs painting anyway so I dare say I could do it with fire retardant paint and pop an intumescent foam seal on the frame to give a bit of extra protection, but that isn't going to be anything like as good as a metal 1hr rated hatch I wouldn't have thought.

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why worry if the hall & stairs are on fire surely the last concern is any stuff in the loft? If the fire starts in the loft it will be the rafters and roof that tend to catch first.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I had in mind any possible tightening up of recommendations/regs on older flats that might come out of Grenfell enquiry. So in this case, I am referring to a fire breaking out within the flat and slowing down the spreading of it into the loft space. Part of the flat complex is just two storey, but this flat is in a three storey part of it. I just had a feeling that the fire regs get tighter when you get above two storeys.

So my question still stands - if the current regs require it, I might take the opportunity to do it whilst re-decorating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back