Fire rated loft hatch. Surface mounted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some great news today. BC came round and are happy to sign off my extension. Kind of.

There are a couple of bits I have to sort and send them photos of before I get the magic certificate.

The easy one is the socket in the garage in a stud wall. Needs fire protection. £4 for an intumescent putty insert will sort that.

Second one is a fire resistant loft hatch. 30 mins is what he said. This “loft” hatch is in the garage and merely provides access to the inside of the mono pitch roof that runs around the edge of the kitchen. The ceiling joists are original and are only 280mm apart. All the hatches I have looked at are not this narrow. I’m keen to keep this access, not for storage but in this roof void are a lot of electrics etc I’d like to be able to get to should I need to. I could board it over but I’d still rather a hatch. I can’t find a cheap off the shelf hatch to fit so initially thought of a surface mounted one bigger than my opening but they all seem to be inset. Any ideas how I can achieve the fire rating required on the cheap. Custom made ones would be a joke.

Last but not least he wants the toilet and basin fitted in the downstairs loo. Next on my list to do.

Overall, Great success!

Sponsored Links
Ps. He only wants photos of the amendments. Could I not just buy an off the shelf loft hatch and cut off the inset bit and glue/screw it up?

Sponsored Links
25mm blockboard, with intumescent strips and with hooks/hinges/latch to keep it closed.

Insulation on the back.

I know regs are there for the benefit of all to make sure it’s all done properly, but when he said photos would suffice, I immediately thought photoshop. Either way a loft hatch is needed. Might make one as woody suggests and buy a “fire rated” sticker to put on it.
55483DE1-A093-4CA5-AA06-9F9FD4498244.jpeg

Just take a photo of another area of ceiling and say you've removed the access and reskimmed(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back