loft insulation - 300mm ish.. between joists..how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a loft which has joists with gaps between about 300mm a few a little more maybe 310. I need to insulate cheaply as possible to 100mm.

All the standard roll insulation i can find is 1140 wide. Apart from discarding the last 240, or fiddling about to cut and fit two strips together to make 300, is there another way?

A forum search turned up a topic from about 6 years ago which said 600mm roll was available and i actually have one roll left over from years ago 1200mm wide but i cant find a current supplier.

Must be loads of houses with joists on 14'' centres - i must be missing something!

Very grateful for any help recieved.

Sponsored Links
That type of insulation does n't go between the rafters, Google multi foil insulation for a better solution.

Sorry I was being an idiot. I'm insulating between ceiling joists in the loft. Sorry, really tired atm and well, what can i say. It was only contemplating foil that i realised my error

I too am tired and misread your post, The place were I get my insulation offers a split or a non split roll. The split roll is perforated so that it is easily split into three 16" sections.

Sponsored Links
Any tips on getting the best 300mm wide use out of it please? I imagine cutting a 60 mm fill strip will be a pain.....

Any tips on getting the best 300mm wide use out of it please? I imagine cutting a 60 mm fill strip will be a pain.....

This works wiith rockwool . . .

BEFORE unwrapping use a panel saw to cut the roll to the width you need like slicing swiss roll.

Fit as normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back