Installing 300mm Loft Insulation + Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a house with no loft insulation and am planning on installing it.

I want to put 300mm of insulation in and also have a floor above it for storage.

The problem I have is that the existing ceiling is original (100 years old) so I don't really want to put any pressure on it at all.

I am planning on putting 100mm insulation in between the existing joists and then installing new 200mm joists above it at 90 degrees for another 200mm of insulation.

The problem is that the only supporting wall is right down the middle of the house- and the new joists will all be running parallel to it-

My original plan was to bolt two joists to the wall at either end and then attach the main joists to it running the full length of the roof-

However I cannot fit full length joists up into the roofspace so I would have to cut and join them again... Now I am thinking of doing this-

Where a beam runs across the middle sitting on the supporting wall and all of the joists are attached to it either side. Is this the best solution or are there others?

I have decided to space the joists at 60mm, and also to just use long wood screws on overlap joints instead of joist hangers- to save some money, as its only for storage and is only really holding up its own weight + stored items- but am I risking it falling in?

I also read online about vapour barriers... I've never seen one used on a loft floor before- only on the roof itself- do I need it? And do I just install it in strips in between the original joists???

Finally I also was told that I need to keep the electrical cables on top of the insulation to prevent fires- this would mean completely rewiring the whole upstairs lights to make the cables long enough... do I really need to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Opps!

I mean of course 60cm, the measurements in the diagram are also supposed to be in cm.... I don't live in a shoebox!

Our house is 160 years old and the ceiling joists in the loft are fine to carry my weight?..which they did when I insulated it (was un-insulated also)

I just laid 270mm straight over the top of the joists, works a treat.

Sponsored Links
No, it's empty I don't need to go up there but the joists were beefy enough if I wanted to tho.

They where bigger and looked stronger than modern ceiling joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back