Protecting downlights in loft when insulating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need covers to go over LED downlights/spotlights that are in the loft, for the ceiling below.

I am insulating the loft with 100mm between the joists and 200mm across the joists

Is it also safe to cover cables with the insulation?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I think you need covers. Even ignoring any possible fire risk, the LED lifespan will be much shorter if they run too hot.

For the cables, I think the key thing is to make sure you've identified what they're for. Lighting cables - particularly for LED lights - are not going to be carrying very much current so you're almost certainly fine. But I'd avoid covering other types of mains cable unless you can be sure they're running way under the cable's current limit. If you have low-voltage transformers for the downlights, they'll need protecting from the insulation so they can vent heat.

Great thanks
Do the LED down light covers also cover the transformers? I do have a couple on the loft

According to this manufacturer:

For halogen lights, they recommend putting the transformer outside the cover and above the insulation;
For LED, they say it can go inside the cover.

Sponsored Links
Just browsing Facebook and a loft boarding and insulation company replied to someone saying that it’s only Halogen lights that need protection and LED lights do not

This suggests that I DO NOT need to cover the Downlights - is this correct?

Fire-rated LED downlights are widely available and should be safe to cover over with insulation, but you might have heat dissapation issues that could shorten the life of the bulbs.

I would put covers over them. Better to be safe than sorry.

Now I’ve exposed them more, they’re too close to the joists to put protectors over them

What’s my choices? Just cover them with insulation and hope for the best?

2CE66184-9641-4F2F-B9D0-8FB2F05ECDA2.jpeg
B8689AB4-E070-4A43-93C1-2FFEB73497C4.jpeg

The dimensions of the covers suggest otherwise? One of the lights is effectively touching the joist? (First pic)

The dimensions of the covers suggest otherwise? One of the lights is effectively touching the joist? (First pic)

You can make your own covers by making a lid and sides out of plasterboard, which is fireproof.

The roof timbers look very flimsy, suggesting it was designed for a slate roof, so will not be suitable for storage or walking on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back