Insulating around downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, havent had to tap into your knowledge for a while - my building project is almost complete.

I am finishing off insulating the loft this weekend, and am unsure what to do with regards to insulating near the downlighters that light the bathroom below.

I have 9" x 3" joists, and am filling the space between with 150mm fibreglass. (for final building regs sign off I have to then cover that with another 150mm fibre, so that I don't use me new loftspace as a room - it gets removed as soon as it's signed off!) The downlighters for the bathroom below are currently exposed in the loft - what do you recommend I do regarding insulating around these? Obviously I can't insulate over them, but how close can I go?

Would it be advisable to perhaps box the downlighters in, so that there's no risk of the insulation touching the downlights?

I assume that I need to apply the same level of caution with the shower electrical cable too?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
You need loft caps which look like an upside down flower pot, been discused on here several times try a search.

HTH

Alan

Thanks Alan, I've never even heard of loft caps before. A bit of googling as shown some people use terra cotta plant pots - as long as they're of the same size as loft caps, any reason not to use them?

Thanks again for your help

Sponsored Links
Flower pots do the job, but if you want to use the proper thing then google for fire hoods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back