Loft Insulation alternative to rockwool.

H

harry0harry

Hi,My loft has very basic loft insulation and I want to upgrade it to meet the current regulations or better, but.
Ceiling joists are 4x2 inch, old London house and existing insulation appears to be paper/fluff insulation which was blown in,now settled to 2 inch in height between joists.
I want the new loft insulation to fit inbetween the joists so I can fit loft board on top of the existing ceiling joists so rockwool is of no use to me,any ideas of the insulation I could use.i am ok with removal of existing insulation if required.

Thank you.

Harry.

Sponsored Links
There are no regs AFAIK for you, just recommendations: 260* mm of fibre-wool which is, I believe excessive ( * equivalent to 180 mm of PIR boards )

You can therefore consider adding joists on top of existing to give you height, but need to consider whether this is reasonable because of the extra weight you are adding. I would be careful, certainly if you want to add a walking-surface as well - and possibly store items ?

If you don't want to add any height to your ceiling joists, just strip out the old rubbish and put down 3" or 4" Kingspan (or Xtratherm or Celotex).

Sponsored Links
If you don't want to add any height to your ceiling joists, just strip out the old rubbish and put down 3" or 4" Kingspan (or Xtratherm or Celotex).

Thank you tony1851, I can get that stuff you mentioned free as there are so many loft conversions around here and the skips are over flowing with the off cuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back