Loft insulation and boarding choices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
A genuine ‘thank you’ to the online DIY community for your help. After a lot of reading, I had no need to start a new thread to redo the silicone, replace a leaking kitchen tap, replace some window handles, and fix a sliding door. I don’t have any DIY skills or knowledge (or some of the right tools) and these supposedly simple jobs took me many hours, but I followed your guidance to get these jobs done for my parents and it was worth it.

I have 1 more job that will be too much for me alone and involves raising the floor joists in the loft of our 3.5 bedroom semi-detached ~1950s property in order to get insulation in, then boarding over for storage. There has been zero loft insulation for 20+ years. I have emptied the loft - about 400-500kg of stuff up there. I have reduced this down to about 250kg of storage to go back up.

The current joists are 4x2s. Please see diagram and images: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBgbmN

The current ‘boarding’ in the centre area looks like 10mm ply nailed down. And the rest is old scrap wood (offcuts etc.) which is thicker, but never screwed down – all been walked on (carefully!) for over 20+ years without issue.

I am looking for the easiest method (but no small plastic loft legs) which won’t cause issues down the line…and not after anything ‘pretty’ as the loft is only visited 10 x a year for a few mins at a time. The lathe & plaster ceilings in the rooms below the loft have feint lines due to, presumably, the weight of the excess storage over the years. These lines have not worsened and have been there for years. No loft conversion is planned for the future and we hope to be in the house for at least another 10 years. The access to the hatch from below is quite good – it’s on a landing and some stuff I removed from the storage included a 2.6m length copper pipe.

PLEASE kindly see what you think of the following options

Option 1: New 6x2s *parallel* directly on top of existing 4x2s @ 400mm centres > takes total height to ~ 250mm. Screwed in diagonally with plenty of (PVA?) glue in between the wood. Finish with plywood or OSB3 T&G screwed on top. This means 1 single layer of 200mm insulation + a ~ 50mm air gap. No joining with the brick wall.

Option 2: New 6x2s on top *perpendicular* to existing 4x2s @ 400mm centres > takes total height to 250mm. Screwed in diagonally with plenty of (PVA?) glue in between the wood. Finish with plywood or OSB3 T&G screwed on top. This means 1 single layer of 100mm insulation between the original (4x2) joists and another 100mm going across + a ~ 50mm air gap. No joining with the brick wall.

Both of the above options mean sweeping up to remove all the current vermiculite which is as low as a 1” and high as 3” in places. Find a local joiner to build sub-frame + board-over after I have rolled out the Knauf 44 insulation (leaving a ~ 5cm gap at edges). Remove the old boards + disposal myself (unless local joiner can use them). I have contacted a joiner who has advertised for years in the local church newsletter and when I described the job, he said he is happy to take a look in a couple of days.

Option 3: Go with a loft insulation company (with v. good online reviews). I got a response from two companies out of eight. 1 quote comes to £2100 for option 1 above using 18mm T&G. This includes disposing of current boarding and re-aligning the current 3 tier ALU loft ladder to work with the new floor height. They will use Knauf 44 and board ~ 20sqm. They measured the area insulated to be ~38sqm. They said they would lay the first 100mm over the current vermiculite, but ideally the vermiculite is removed (by me). They will need 1.5 days. They said 200mm insulation is enough and they gave the price instantly.

I am waiting for 1 more quote from another company. This 2nd company needs ~ 2 days to do the job and said he wants to put in 300mm, so I assume he is using 8x2s (8”+4” = ~300mm). This means no air gap if I have understood correctly. The loft is fairly well ventilated, however he also said he will put in several roof vents (the cheapo type that lift the felt a bit). Each of the guys from these companies took about 5mins to have a look at the job and said they cannot re-use current boarding. But, overall the job appears to be quite ‘normal’ for them rather than anything too complicated. The bathroom (no electrical shower) area has a bit of messy wiring above but neither company mentioned it. The other rooms have a single ceiling rose light.

Time is against me as I only have 13 days to get this done, so unfortunately, it is not something I will attempt as I don’t have any experience in wood work. I feel like shoving all the storage back up there and giving up, but the Mrs said to put some forum posts up online to get advice.

Some other things I am not sure about:

- Where there is no boarding, is there any harm in adding an extra 100mm of insulation? For example, boarded area =200mm insulation. Unboarded = 300mm insulation.

- How important is the air gap when using Knauf 44? Because, the 2nd company wants to go to 300mm insulation, but using 8x2s (on top of current 4x2s) means there won’t be much of an air gap. Perhaps, this is why he said he will put in several roof vents (cheapo type). Whereas company 1 going with option 1 above results in a 50mm air gap due to less insulation (200mm with (6x2s) used.

Initially, I thought I could do the job myself, but it is going to be too complicated, especially the levelling and T&G. I tried my best to ‘cost it up’, and this is what I got: Insulation: 1st layer, Knauf 44, 100mm 13.89m2/pack (perforations at 380mm and 570mm) = 38m2/13.89m2 = ~ 3 packs / ~ £100
2nd layer, Knauf 44, 150mm 9.18m2/pack (perforations at 380mm and 570mm) = 38m2/9.18m2 = ~ 4 packs / ~ £133 . Extra roll for unboarded areas = 1 pack of 100mm = £33 TOTAL FOR INSULATION (Insulation costs + £50 delivery) = £316
Timber,
a mix of 6x2s and 4x2s = £450
Boarding
= 20m2 x £18/m2 for shorter lengths = £360
Tools
= ~ £100 ...Stanley knife , spirit level, hand saw for cutting 6x2s/4x2s. screws, glue etc. I have access to drills.
TOTAL DIY cost IF I had the skills = ~ minimum of £1200 + time spent

Any thoughts on the above?
Sincere apologies for the long post!
Cheers
SJ

Attachments

• BATHROOM DOWNLIGHTERS.jpg
    BATHROOM DOWNLIGHTERS.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 34
  • CURRENT BOARDING.jpg
    CURRENT BOARDING.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 34
  • LOFT 1.jpg
    LOFT 1.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 33
  • LOFT 2.jpg
    LOFT 2.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 35
  • LOFT 3.jpg
    LOFT 3.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 32
  • LOFT 4.jpg
    LOFT 4.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 27
  • LOFT 5.jpg
    LOFT 5.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 33
  • LOFT FLOOR.jpg
    LOFT FLOOR.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Update: 2nd quote received today: Just over £2,500 (300mm insulation with this company). They itemised some of the jobs.
Their total boarding costs came to £1500 including the timber subframe but not much detail. I assume they will be using 8x2s (on top of current 4x2s) to make a height of 300m( 12"). They also said the knauf earthwool does NOT require an air gap below the boarding. Neither quote,1 or 2, mention the type of boarding. If I understand correctly, OSB3 is a bit water resistant and will be fine with a bit of condensation in the winter and I assume this is what they will use.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford either of these quotes. Fingers crossed I can get a good joiner, who can do the subframe + boarding.
Leaving me to roll out the insulation, install 20-30 lap vents, pop 6 plant pots on the downlighters - a newbie like me can hopefully at least do this much.

Panic not set in yet, but it will soon as I have just over 10 days to complete (long story).
Worst case, I will go it alone and just reduce the size of the boarded area to give me less work to do + dump some of the loft storage carp in the garden shed.

I didn't really read all of that it really is too long/rambling but is the gist you want add 300mm of insulation and board on top? Look up LoftZone StoreFloor, https://www.loftzone.co.uk/product/storefloor/ that's very DIY friendly, their website has plenty of links to video tutorials and which screws to use etc.
Sorry mate, I will reduce length of the original post if the site lets me later. I have an exam on Monday so I'm just a bit occupied. Looking to have a timber subframe rather than any kind of plastic leg (long story which I will not bore you with).

Sponsored Links
Just lay down the biggest pieces of 100mm celotex you can get up there (on the joists) , then repeat with a staggered bond then repeat with those boards that are there with additional 9mm osb or similar if a bit extra needed.

6x2's weigh a lot and 8x2's even more. By the time you add the 18mm chipboard on top you won't have a lot left for storage. I completed a very similar job last year and decided against the 8x2's due to massive extra weight and went for the Loftzone system. Its a great system, light weight, very sturdy, easy and quick to install and I highly recommend it.

But you know it's not made of wood, like what they've been doing for hundreds of years so it must be crap. :rolleyes:

Defo up for considering it. After my exam on Monday I will go back up and draw up some kinda plan. Just read the steel beam on the loft zone system is very thin so it can be cut which is great. Also, the minimal use of equipment and speed at which it can potentially be done is drawing me to this system. . Wickes offer on OSB3 is ending on Wed so I better be quick. I take it OSB3 18mm x 606 x 1220 will be ok to use with loft zone. I may use some of the off cuts I already have.

Newbie qn: How do you know where to place screw on the boards so that you hit the slit on the beam?

If it's okay, I'd be inclined to put a few timbers between the steel beam and joist, just to secure it even more :)

Last edited:
Don't get suckered by Wickes' "special offer" on OSB;

Their offer boards:

1709452377709.png

are still twice the price, per sqm, than their non-offer boards:

1709452129415.png

Which themselves are still 50% dearer than a decent builders merchant (and your local friendly BM may deliver for free):

1709452261226.png

If the complaint is that you can't fit 1200 sheets through a loft hatch, a circ saw is about the price of 1.5 Wickes boards/about half the price of their big n bulky delivery :D

1709452598257.png

Last edited:

Thanks v much! That gives me a lot of confidence. If the circular saw is not difficult to use then I will do just that.
Just got to decide between loftzone (very little weight + should be quicker) or the DIY timber subframe. Revising all day today. After tomorrow's exam I will work it all out.

For ease of install have a look at loft flooring packs to go with the Loft Zone system.

Easy to get into the loft. No or very little cutting required.

Someone doing the same here

Horrible day. Anyway...bit late to the party; I just found out there's also a system called loftlegs. Like a loftzone, but without the thin metal beams on top. With both methods I would have to get a circular saw for the boards. I am thinking to go without the T&G though as access looks to be of a bit pain with T&G compared to 'plain' boards. In case there's a bit of water (from condensation) in the winter dripping down, is there a tape/strip or other method that's recommended for board edges? One guy told me to lay out the cheapest pvc/lino I could find in the boarded areas.

Horrible day. Anyway...bit late to the party; I just found out there's also a system called loftlegs. Like a loftzone, but without the thin metal beams on top. With both methods I would have to get a circular saw for the boards. I am thinking to go without the T&G though as access looks to be of a bit pain with T&G compared to 'plain' boards. In case there's a bit of water (from condensation) in the winter dripping down, is there a tape/strip or other method that's recommended for board edges? One guy told me to lay out the cheapest pvc/lino I could find in the boarded areas.

You said 'No Loft Legs' on Screwfix forum :giggle:

Seriously, Loft legs (Toolstation) and loft flooring packs (B&Q) for DIY.
Easy to get the boards into the loft
No cutting.
Bit of pilot drilling and screwing

You may find the condensation improves once insulation is in if it is poor now.

You said 'No Loft Legs' on Screwfix forum :giggle:

Seriously, Loft legs (Toolstation) and loft flooring packs (B&Q) for DIY.
Easy to get the boards into the loft
No cutting.
Bit of pilot drilling and screwing

You may find the condensation improves once insulation is in if it is poor now.

You're right; it's because I saw pictures of these awful 'Dial'? banded legs that had been almost destroyed over time by boarding/storage lol.

I will see what the joiner says tonight (if he's good value), otherwise 15-18 boxes of Loftlegs it is. Best to get more and return unused ones I guess.

You said no cutting with the legs. Due to early shift today, I'm on about 4 hrs sleep and can't think straight. Surely some cutting involved? Like when I come near a hangar (see attached images). Is it best to start in the middle and work outwards?
Thanks v much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back