Loft insulation, and ventalation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in process of insulation may loft and have a couple concerns. There is a ceiling vent in each bedroom, and looking as the vent from the loft side I think originally there would have been a crude wooden duct to connect this to the soffit, the picture shows one horizontal board and there are nails where the other would have been.

8f28f9aed6af55e91a60342f95c0c0d9.jpg

a572358adcebfa8f21f7923ff71301a1.jpg

I'm thinking is this should be sealed up as I really don't want warm house air venting up into a cold loft! But I don't want to seal up a vent without checking. The sofits that these ducts go to seem to be the only ones in my roof that are vented, the others do not seem to have vents.

My loft had zero insulation before and there was no condensation issues, I'm in process of putting in 300mm, sealing up down lighters and getting a better seal around the hatch.

Should I seal this vent?
Should I be concerned that only 2 sofits have vents out of 26?

Sponsored Links
Ventilated soffits are a good idea, gales in the bedrooms are not!
I'd lose this vent, insulate your ceilings thoroughly but keep the material away from the under felt.
Soffit ventilation is comparatively new - but thoroughly beneficial should any water get in there. I've helped mine - hopefully - by drilling 3" holes and covering them with a purpose made grille to keep the bugs out.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back