Loft Insulation - Eaves or Floor in Loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There.

New here and needing assistance!

I have just began to insulate my loft - between the eaves with sheet insulation (foil covered polystyrene board) but the floor already has some old thick insulation in place.

The upstairs of the house is very cold, but I think I may just have carried out a large expensive task for no benefit!

I use the loft for storage only, and now after a day of hard cutting and gymnastics have insulation in both roof eaves and loft floor.

I have two questions:

Will this extra cladding be a waste of time? (As really i should just have doubled up on the 'floor' stuff

Secondly when you mention 'sufficient space between roof and sheeting to ensure no condensation' what does this mean in terms of mm?

Thank you all!

Appleseed

Sponsored Links
Will this extra cladding be a waste of time?

I think the benefit will be minimal as you do not have any heat in the loft to keep in and you would have been better to have topped up to 200 mm between the joists.

Secondly when you mention 'sufficient space between roof and sheeting to ensure no condensation' what does this mean in terms of mm?

You should have 50 mm for airflow between the roof and insulation. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back