Loft insulation + plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys-gals

I have an old loft which hasnt been used ever and is extremely dusty with thick dust in the roof joists if thats their proper name, its has a pitched roof or at least i think it is ( the room if sort of triangular) and the dust is clogged in between the big wodden joists.

My question is firstly what is the best way to clean this, i have tried a vacum but its not powerfull enough, as long as it isnt too big or too heavy i should be fine getting it up.

My second question is how can i insulate this type of roof? Do I use loft insulation like this one ( http://www.screwfix.com/prods/29949/Building/Roofing-Insulation/Loft-Insulation-600mm-x-7-5m#) and do i just use a staple gun to place it on the roof or is there another method.

Finally the third question is if i insulate it this way can i just screw in plasterboard on top?

Thank you very much for your help

Sponsored Links
You can use an aqua-vac or similar. Buy some of the paper sacks that fit inside as the normal filter will clog quickly with fine dust.

you can also try sweeping it with a soft brush and dustpan if the dust is thick and the ceilings are smooth on top.

You can also hire an industrial vac

A domestic vac will not be strong enough

Empty the vac into plastic rubble sacks and tape them tightly shut before lowering through the hatch (the vac will be very heavy if you try to lower it when full)

Use a dust mask

If the roof is unfelted (you can see the underside of the tiles) then the loft will get dirty again in time.

thanks alot

no u cant see the tiles only like wodden slates

anything on the insulation and plasterboard?

thank u

sounds like your roof was clad in "featheredge" timber (as used on fences) before tiling. This was a relatively expensive way of doing it, so I guess you have a good-quality Victorian home. Brush loose dust off the slats before you do your hoovering.

You want to insulate the slope and use the loft as a warm room? no, I only know about insulating the loft "floor" to prevent heat being lost through the ceiling of the room below.

Sponsored Links
yeh its like fencing, regarding insulating the slope yes i wan to insulate then plasterboard the big joist like wooden beams.

thanks very much for your info

if anyone else knows anything regarding this plz post, also i read that the roof joists might not be able to take the weight of the plasterboard if anyone knows anything about this it would be great

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back