Loft insulation problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We had out extra loft insulation laid several years ago now as part of a government grant. In recent years, we have suffered from damp in the top corners of our upstairs rooms. We had a plumber round the other day on a completely unrelated job (he was repairing our cold water tank in the loft) and while he was up there, he commented on how close the insulation had been installed to the walls. He said there should be a gap all the way around to allow the moisture to rise. He said the insulation being laid right up against the walls was probably the cause of our damp. Anyone got any comments or opinions on this?

Anyway, I've borrowed a ladder from a friend and I'm going up there this afternoon to see if I can fix the problem. Just wondered what I'd need to do (bear with me here, because I haven't even seen it yet). Would I need to trim it? Or fold it over?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is there ventilation at the eaves and is there a gap between the insulation and the underside of the roof? Mybe this was what your plumber meant.

Do the rooms have any ventilation: air bricks or trickle vents in the windows?

I had the same problem.
Contacted Eaga and they came out to rectify and re-decorate. :D

Is there ventilation at the eaves and is there a gap between the insulation and the underside of the roof? Mybe this was what your plumber meant.

Do the rooms have any ventilation: air bricks or trickle vents in the windows?

I'm not sure to be honest with you. I'm going up there shortly so I'll have a look and take a picture if I'm unsure. And our windows don't have vents or anything due to the way our house is heated. It is a small open plan house with just one gas heater downstairs.

I had the same problem.
Contacted Eaga and they came out to rectify and re-decorate. :D

Really? How long after the fitting was this though? I'm talking probably 10 years since ours was done, I wouldn't even know who to call.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back