Loft Insulation Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

When insulating a loft. I know that building regs say that there should be 270mm of insulation up there.

My question is this: If putting insulation in the rafters below the roof as well, would I still need 270mm of insulation under the floor or is the 270mm of insulation usually shared between putting it in the rafters under the roof and in between the joists with flooring down on top of them?

I'm a little confused and need some clarification.

Regards,

Brett Rogers

Sponsored Links
Unless your attic is a habitable space you would only insulate at ceiling level ..100mm between joists and 170mm across.
The loft is supposed to be cold and airy to keep moisture rising from the house at bay.

If this is a loft conversion, you would thermally insulate the rafters, but fire insulate the ceiling/floor (100mm rockwool)

If you are just insulating a roof space, you would just insulate the celling, not the rafters and definitely not both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back