Loft insulation under existing boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to insulate the loft, up to modern standards, but the middle third of the loft is boarded and partitioned to make a junk/games room. I\\\'m getting the two outer areas insulated but none of the contractors I got quotes from have really offered any solution as to what to do with the boarded area. It\\\'s not practical for me to remove the boards/walls, so I would like any suggestions as to what to do with this area.
What options are there? Is it worth looking at loose fill materials? If so, how to install it? Or what about blown fibre - ? How does this work?

Any suggestions from anyone that has had this type of thing done or does it, would be helpful.

Cheers.
:?:

Sponsored Links
Insulate around the room itself. Was there ever any insulation between the joists before the room was built?

"It\\\'s not practical for me to remove the boards/walls"

I bet it is.

What's the prob? Parquet flooring with complex marquetry?

It's a very big room, so it is not practical for me to remove the walls/boards.
There is only a small amount of insulation between the joists, about an inch or so, in patches.

From inside the un-boarded area of the attic, you can see through gap between the boards and the ceiling below. Hence my original question regarding filling this space without removing the boards.

Any other ideas, anyone?

Sponsored Links
flooring comes up quite easily. Is it chipboard sheets, or plank-like floorboards? Screwed down or nailed? Is it covered with carpet or something?

Can you lay your hands on a circular saw?

I have the same problem as Ian. I live in a 1920s house with a boarded attic. There is blown insulation in the outer area but it has proper floorboards which I do not wish to disturb. I had thought of putting battens with insulation between and then using flooring sheets. Is this feasible. Also someone has plastered between the roof supports and it is grotty. Can I put insulation rolls [the metallic sort] over this or is it a 'chip off job? [sorry about the terminology fellas but I'm new to this and I am starting a bit late in life!]

Many years ago we used a two part expanding foam to fill buoyancy tanks within our boat.

No doubt something similar could be used, just make sure there are escape holes in case too much foam is produced

I'm in a similar situation to the gentleman who started this strand, except that, as well as having a substantial portion of the middle part of the loft planked over, there is a large sliding glass panel that provides access to the loft and light to the large hall via a window in the roof of my bungalow. Are there any cunning ways to improve the insulation of the loft in this situation? At the moment what insulation there is comes from three to four inches of loose fibreglass wool beween the joists while I've stretched a layer of film across the frame of the glassed panel.
Best Wishes,
Peter

all lofts that i insulate have 100mm snuggly between the joists then between 150mm to 200mm cross layed over the top covering all loft space (ceiling). also apply same thickness 250mm to 300mm to loft hatch if possible securing it by enclosing within a black bag for example then apply draft excluder strips around the hatch creating a seal. for rooms in the loft its ideal to have insulation between the ceiling and room floor preferably filling entire space as gaps can cause cold spots which cause damp and condensation where cold meets warm. and is veasible to insulate room walls for maximum unsulation i.e securing the insulation strips (blanket, rolls) between wooden batons. hope this helps rich

hi,
just to start, catlady you sound like it a bit of a bodge job by the contracter who done your plastering, you shouldnt have any rott or lagg in the plaster at all if done properlly.
this can be caused by air under the plasterer, or to much water in the plaster paste were its just been left and not cheacked. were it has been properly skimmed and set. it a simple repair by the right plasterer, make sure you use a professional that way ull know the job is done correctly.

ian2020, it sounds like it just the central island in your loft, its common for people to turn it ito a box and store things inside it and forget about insulation and boarding around the area, most people that arnt professional that are out to mk a quick quid in this case.
remeber ur loft is insulated for a reason. to try and save heat. flooring over this would help creating a block for the heat that rises there for more more heat for your home.,
regards to the flooring issue ensure the area around the centre of the room is insulated and not damp and thisll cause more problems in the future for your plaster work underneith the insulation, most jobs i have done when fitting insulation or boxing in, i usally cheack the insulation is the right 1, i would usally put a simple layer of chip flooring over the top of it ensure when fitting it you use screw and not nails, and make sure theres no pipes were the work is about to tk place.
this ensure youll be abe to go bk and forth from your area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back