blown fibre loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I have a thatched property with very old (but generally good condition) lath and plaster ceilings in the bedrooms.
An insulation contractor has successfully got the council to agree to installing loft insulation for free (the loft has never previously had any insulation).
But they want to use blown fibre instead of blanket insulation. I can see three problems with this:

1. There are small patches where the lath and plaster ceiling will need repair, and over time maybe more. Although the repairs would be done from below, I suspect that blown fibre insulation would have to be removed from the area which would be like trying to dig a hole in loose sand.

2. The joists are quite narrow - around 3" and very uneven - and its my understanding that the blown fibre insulation would cover them and make them invisible. Hence, when I go up into the loft afterwards, I would put my weight on movable boards but these would rest on the insulation which would itself rest on the ceiling, and that could break the ceiling.

3. Even without the above, I don't know if the weight of the blown fibre insulation itself could break the ceiling, if not immediately then over time - the contractor says it wouldn't, but I don't fully trust them.

Does anyone have any views on these, please ?

(I am thinking of instead putting in glass fibre blanket insulation myself, it would only cost around £150 plus a day or so work).

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Your concerns are unfounded , but it’s your property so use whatever you prefer .

The "necessary" depth of fiber glass in lofts tends to cover the joists, this makes for difficult / dangerous access if someone is going to try to get from a loft hatch to look at a roof leak around the chimney. not to mention the stores Christmas tree + loads of other stuff.

Ken

Sponsored Links
First of all if the ceiling can't support the weight of insulation there is something wrong with the ceiling :!: The weight on boards for access around the loft would be supported by the joists which support the ceiling. All insulation in roof spaces at joist level covers the joists nowadays because 300mm thickness of mineral wool quilt is the recommended minimum thickness for thermal insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back